The following scenario clearly illustrates the unique utility of SlingShot with L-TAC for command and control communications:
A coalition operation has a force lay-down that, by nature of the tactical situation and terrain, requires troops to be widely dispersed and able to manoeuvre rapidly.
Utilising in-service VHF manpack radios fitted with SlingShot and transmitting over L-TAC, the lead reconnaissance foot-patrol can provide a steady flow of information and intelligence as it moves forward; seamlessly in touch with their higher command, now situated well to the rear, without pausing to set up antennas. Live Situational Awareness feeds are transmitted from forward troops to the HQ by the SlingShot-enabled tactical radio over L-TAC, so they know the exact position of troops and assets at all times.
Through the same communications networks, the mounted elements of the main assault force can maintain communications with both the reconnaissance patrols and their HQ as they manoeuvre far beyond the range of tactical VHF combat radio, without the need to establish and secure radio re-broadcast equipment.
On another level, also using SlingShot / L-TAC combination, the force commander can be on the move and still able to speak securely and reliably to all subordinate elements, as well as to flanking coalition partners. Logistic elements that follow to the rear, possibly hundreds of kilometres away, can re-deploy to forward supply areas while maintaining effective communications, without the need for range-extension sites or the technical challenges of establishing mobile HF comms.
Combined with Inmarsat’s L-TAC lease service, SlingShot is designed for security and reliability. Once deployed, remote management and support are provided through Spectra’s 24/7 network operation centre, supported additionally by Inmarsat’s 24/7 NOC.
So, whether required for defence & security, border security, aid & emergency, or commercial utility; if effective, secure, and cost-effective, BLOS voice and data communications are necessary for demanding, remote and hostile environments, then Inmarsat’s L-TAC enabled by Spectra’s SlingShot is the solution.
In summary SlingShot, in combination with L-TAC, can provide:
- Strategic, secure tactical communications
- Global coverage
- Dedicated bandwidth
- Voice and data; including Situational Awareness
With the following features:
- Uses existing radio hardware and cryptography
- Very small form factor, lightweight and low power consumption
- Multi-platform: works with dismounted personnel and on land, marine and air platforms (fixed wing and helicopters).
- Global access with strategic backhaul
- Narrow, Multi-headed and Customised Beam footprints available
- Beyond Line of Sight Communications independent of local infrastructure
- Easy to use
- Netted voice and data for an all-informed network
- On the move, on the Pause or in Static HQs
- Flexible leasing, with channel lease options from one month
Delivering Beyond Line of Sight capabilities including:
- Secure Voice
- Biometric Database Access
- Situational Awareness
- Artillery fire-plans
- Email, file transfer and chat/free text